I have just started Andrea Scher’s Brave Blogging e-Course. It’s been a long time since I have posted with any sort of regularity so i decided that I need some help with blogging. Our first prompt is 25 Random Things About Me! Enjoy!
1. 25 is my favourite number. It’s the day of my birthday. February 25, It’s my mom’s birthday, May 25, and it’s my wedding anniversary, June 25 as well. It has also been in my last 4 phone numbers.
2. I have a strange desire to make any grouping of numbers into 25. It makes no sense but i love to do this, and it gives me some deep seated joy. I just typed out an example, but it made no sense whatsoever, so you will simply need to believe me.
3. For much of my life, I have had crazy hair colours. Currently it’s blue and purple, but for many years it was red. Next week, it’s becoming teal.
4. I have 3 animals. Two cats and a dog. I will only ever have black cats as they are often the first cats to be euthanized in a shelter.
5. I met Gene Wilder once in a bookstore and we had the loveliest conversation. He was sad and beautiful all at the same time.
6. When i was a kid I have 1079 photos of Michael Jackson collaged onto my wall. I saw him in the Jackson’s Victory Tour when i was about 12 years old. I was really angry at my mother when she made me wear a snowsuit because it was an outdoor concert in October and it was very cold. Jackson also died on June 25, which I will never forget.
7. About 12 years ago, I decided that after a whole life of being a performer that I would become a visual artist. I had no experience, and had no clue. But for 2 years, I sat in my studio and created mixed media works until they began to look like something. Since then I have spent the past 10 years spending my time both creating and selling my art work, and performing storytelling based one woman shows.
8. For the past 25 years I have worked in bookstores. I love books and read a LOT.
9. I started collecting books about creativity about 23 years ago. I had been downtown Toronto to go to a job interview at a bookstore and stopped by The World’s Biggest Bookstore (which sadly closed last year) and saw this book called Inspiration Sandwich by someone named SARK. I read it in a park that afternoon and decided that my life would be all about creativity.
10. I can put my fist in my mouth. I don’t do it often, but yes, i can.
11. For a while i was a dancer who performed with all of those who had been my teachers and mentors. I never took a dance class.
12. When i get an good idea, no, a great idea, i can’t help but try to make it real.
13. Immediately after my son was born via C section the power in the delivery room went out. Due to a handful of circumstances I was pretty doped up and clearly thought that it was the end of the world. So I decided that was the best time for me to start singing the song I had wrote for him. Loudly. While sobbing. The power was restored about 30 seconds after it went out. It felt like a life time.
14. I have dated 9 redheads and my 2 best friends growing up were redheads.
15. When i met my husband, I wrote in my diary that i thought that I would marry him. 2 years and 5 days afterwards, I did.
16. I often feel like a fraud. Like, daily.
17. I ended up on a stage with Bobby McFerrin singing a duet with him in front of 10,000 people 10 days before my wedding. It was amazing.
18. I used to teach creativity, storytelling and collage at a spa called Rio Caliente in Mexico. I am so sad that it has closed because it was truly a special healing place for me and others.
19. As I am writing this, a 8 month old kitten named Chimmy lied on top of the keyboard and urged to stop typing and pet him. I took a few minutes to humour him as he is VERY cute.
20. I don’t like being told what to do. Which is why I never went to university. I sometimes wish I had.
21. I LOVE books. I have books in every room in my house. I own approximately 10,000 titles and had downsized when i moved to Hamilton 4 years ago.
22. I don’t know how to swim.
23. I believe that grief should be talked about. I have had my share of sadness and just wrote about it in Grief Landscapes that is a project by the great Mindy Stricke. Check it out here.
24. My dad died 3 years after 10 years of living with multiple myeloma. My dad was one of the kindest guys ever, and i am often so sad that he isn’t around to see my son grow up. I think my dad looked a lot like the Dalai Lama, and I am currently writing a show about him called, My Father, the Dalai Lama.
25. My grandfather was very dear to me. I met him when he moved her from Spain when he was 80 and when I was 15 and he lived to be 98. I miss him a lot.